2017 Conference Call for Papers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  vike savoth 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts Mark Topic Read  | 
  • 06 Feb 2017 at 1:25 pm #8825

Rick Wallach
    Keymaster

In case you haven’t noticed it, our illustrious webmaster has just put up the official CFP for the 2017 Austin conference. For the sake of the less ambitious among us, I am repeating it here to make sure everyone sees it:

The Cormac McCarthy Society invites paper proposals for its Fall 2017 Conference, to be held Sept. 1-3 in Austin, Texas. The submission deadline is April 15, 2017.

Papers on all topics relating to the works of Cormac McCarthy, from all perspectives, are invited, including considerations of theatrical productions or film adaptations of his work, pedagogical approaches, and the relationship of McCarthy’s work to other authors or artists.

Please submit a brief abstract of the proposed paper as a Word doc or PDF by email to the Cormac McCarthy Society at McCarthyConference2017@gmail.com no later than April 15, 2017.

Proposals for complete panels are welcome as well. Please include titles and abstracts for at least three participants.

The conference will take place in the downtown Hilton hotel (500 E. 4th St.) in Austin, right in the midst of some of Austin’s best restaurants and coffee shops—not to mention other landmarks like the Alamo Drafthouse theater, the Mexic-Arte Museum, the Elephant Room jazz club, Iron Works BBQ, and Voodoo Doughnut. The Hilton conference rate for single and double rooms (which is available from Aug. 31 through Sept. 3) is $189/night. When you’re ready to reserve a room, you can call the Hilton at 512-482-8000 and give the group code “CMC,” or you can go to this website:

https://aws.passkey.com/event/16228617/owner/11913/landing

Conference registration information will soon be available on cormacmccarthy.com. We hope to see you there!

12 Feb 2017 at 4:05 pm #8840

vike savoth

New guy here. Are there past posts or materials of topics, etc to give me an idea of what is likely to be a successful
    Submission?
    Vike

12 Feb 2017 at 4:31 pm #8842

Rick Wallach
    Keymaster

Vike: welcome to the forum.

I’m republishing below a “style sheet” for conference proposals from our 2015 conference in Memphis where The Orchard Keeper 50th Anniversary was a key theme. Since Outer Dark will be 50 next year and there’s a good chance we’ll be meeting overseas in 2018, considerations of that particular novel on the domestic front might be a good choice. Meanwhile, here’s the old style sheet, slightly edited. I doubt if it’s going to be all that different from the new one; please pay special attention to the last two paragraphs. I hope it’s helpful in the interim:

The Cormac McCarthy Society invites submissions for its 2017 National Conference.

The primary themes of this conference will be:

• Cormac McCarthy’s Influence on American Popular Culture;
    Outer Dark at 50;
    • Films or Television Versions of McCarthy Novels,
    Screenplays and Plays including Reassessments of The Counselor.

Papers on all other topics relating to the works of Cormac McCarthy, from all perspectives, are also invited.

Note: you do not have to present a paper to attend the conference. Our audiences always provide plenty of valuable and insightful input!

Pedagogy: We especially invite papers on teaching Outer Dark at any academic level. This subject may include commentaries or critiques of the existing critical literature.

Those interested in participating in the conference should submit a one-to-two-page précis of their proposed paper as a Word Document (.doc or .docx) via email to McCarthyConference2017@gmail.com no later than April 15, 2017.

Please send only outline or précis proposals. Please do not send us competed papers at this time.

We will notify all contributors of the status of their submissions no later than July 5, 2013, which should facilitate your travel planning and assure you one of the reserved rooms at the conference hotel.

Proposals for complete panels are encouraged. They should be accompanied by titles and précis for at least three complete papers by the panel participants. Those members assembling panels should solicit papers before submitting their proposals to the Society.

– Please be sure to review the existing critical literature in your particular chosen subject area carefully to avoid repeating or merely restating ideas or observations that have already been published. We will select the most interesting and original submissions.
    – Final paper drafts should be readable in presentation within 15-20 minutes. We expect this conference to be extremely well attended, so keeping within this timeframe is critical in order to keep the sessions on track.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Rick Wallach.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Rick Wallach.
    12 Feb 2017 at 4:44 pm #8844

vike savoth

Many thanks!

13 Feb 2017 at 3:41 pm #8848

Rick Wallach
    Keymaster

De nada, as we say here in Macondo.

Technically, I’ve retired from managing the domestic conferences and will invest my winter passion in the international ones for the next few decades or so (nyuknyuknyuknyuk). You’ve benefitted from my force of habit. Hope to meet you in Austin.

14 Feb 2017 at 10:37 am #8850

vike savoth

thanks much, Keymaster W 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.